- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 quart Pompeian Grapeseed Oil
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons cream-style horseradish sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 3 large Vidalia onions (about 1 3/4 pounds)
1. Onion Rings: Peel the onions, and cut them across the equator into 1/2-inch-thick slices; separate slices into rings.
2. In a large bowl, stir together the buttermilk, 1 teaspoon of the salt and 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper. Add onions to buttermilk mixture and toss to coat; let sit for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, stir together the flour, cornmeal, remaining ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper in a large bowl.
3. Heat oven to 200 degrees and line a baking sheet with paper towels.
4. Place Pompeian Grapeseed Oil in a large dutch oven or stockpot and heat to 350 degrees. Working in batches and using tongs, remove onions from the buttermilk mixture, letting any excess batter drip off, then coat thoroughly in the flour mixture. Fry for 2 to 3 minutes, turning once halfway through, or until golden brown. Place onion rings on prepared baking sheet and place in a 200 degree oven to remain warm. Repeat with remaining onion rings, checking between batches to allow temperature to come back up to 350 degrees.
5. Sauce: Stir together mayonnaise, ketchup and horseradish sauce; serve with onion rings.