- Optional: 1/3 cup plain yogurt, preferably Greek
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup Israeli pearl couscous
- 1/4 cup green bell pepper, finely diced
- 1/4 cup orange bell pepper, finely diced
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1/4 cup shallots, finely minced
- 1/4 cup yellow bell pepper, finely diced
- 1/4 tsp. turmeric
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3 Tbsp. fresh parsley, finely minced
- 4 Tbsp. Pompeian Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1. In a heavy 2-quart saucepan heat 2 tablespoons of the Pompeian Extra Virgin Olive Oil over low heat. Add the peppers and cook for 3 minutes or until crisp tender. Transfer to a side dish, season with salt and pepper and set aside.
2. Heat the remaining Pompeian Extra Virgin Olive Oil in the saucepan over medium heat. Add the couscous and cook, stirring constantly, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add the shallots and cook for 30 seconds longer. Season with salt and pepper and add the chicken stock together with the turmeric. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 15 to 20 minutes or until the couscous is tender and all of the chicken stock has been absorbed.
3. Fold in the peppers, parsley and lemon juice and just heat through. Remove the pan from the heat and fold in the optional yogurt. Taste and correct the seasoning and serve hot.