- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large Spanish onion, peeled, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 lb. fresh ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup Pompeian Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 lbs. large bell peppers, preferably a mixture of green, red, and yellow, cored, seeded and cut into 1-inch strips
- 2 Tbsp. fresh basil leaves
In a large skillet, heat the Pompeian Extra Virgin Olive Oil over medium heat. Add the onions, peppers, Tomatoes, and basil, season with salt and pepper and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered, for 1 hour, stirring often. If the “stew” is too juicy, remove the cover and cook until the liquid is reduced. Season to taste and serve hot or at room temperature with grilled meats or grilled turkey burgers.