- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cabbage (2 lbs.), cored and sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 - 1-1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup brewed hot green tea
- 1 cup mixed dried fruit, such as apricots, apples, figs, pears, pitted prunes, cherries or
cranberries, large pieces cut in half
- 1 Tbsp. Pompeian Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tsp. salt, plus additional, to taste
- 1/2 cup dried apple slices, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 tsp. fennel seeds
- 1/4 cup Pompeian Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Pompeian Pomegranate Balsamic Vinegar, or Pompeian Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 3 lb. center-cut, boneless pork loin, butterflied and trimmed of excess fat
- 3/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper, plus additional, to taste
Place dried fruit in a medium bowl. Pour hot tea over fruit and soak for 20 minutes. Preheat oven to 400o
Combine chopped garlic, 1 Tbsp. of rosemary, fennel seeds, lemon zest, 1 tsp. salt and
3/4 tsp. black pepper in a small bowl. Add 1 Tbsp. Pompeian Extra Virgin Olive Oil
and stir to make a paste.
Place pork roast on a work board, fat side down. Spread the top surface with an even coat of the herb paste. Drain dried fruit and pat dry with paper towels. Arrange fruit in a long narrow strip down the center length of the pork. Tightly roll the pork so the fruit appears in the center. Tie with butcher’s twine at 1-inch intervals. Transfer pork roast to an oiled roasting pan. Rub pork with salt and black pepper, to taste, and remaining 1 Tbsp. of rosemary.
Roast pork in the preheated oven, fat side down, for 30 minutes. Turn roast, fat side up and continue roasting for another 30 – 35 minutes or until a meat thermometer inserted into a meaty portion of the pork registers 160o
While pork roasts, make the Braised Cabbage. Heat Pompeian Extra Virgin Olive Oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add onion and cook until translucent. Stir in garlic and cook 2 minutes. Add cabbage and cook, stirring often, until wilted. Add dried apples, Pompeian Pomegranate Balsamic Vinegar, 1 cup broth, and salt and black pepper to taste. Cover and cook 35 – 40 minutes or until cabbage is tender, adding more broth if the pan becomes dry.
When pork is ready, transfer to a carving board and rest for 10 minutes. Spoon Braised Cabbage onto a large serving platter. Slice pork and arrange slices over the cabbage.