- 2-inch long strip of orange zest
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Pinch of ground cumin
- Sea salt or kosher salt, and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and sliced 1/2 -inch thick
- 1 tsp. egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp. fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric
- 1/4 cup Pompeian Classic Mediterranean Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Pompeian White Cooking Wine
- 1/4 cup raw almonds
- 1/4 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt or kosher salt
- 2 lbs. baby carrots, peeled
- 2 to 3 Tbsp. Pompeian Extra Virgin Olive Oil, for drizzling
- 3/4 tsp. curry powder
- 5 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1. Heat Pompeian Classic Mediterranean Olive Oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onions and cook until tender. Add carrots, sweet potato, bay leaf, orange zest, curry, ginger, Pompeian White Cooking Wine and 4-1/2 cups of the broth. Simmer, uncovered, for 30 min., until vegetables are very tender. Allow to cool slightly. Remove bay leaf and orange zest, then purée soup in batches, using a food processor. Return soup to the pot. If too thick, add remaining 1/2 cup of broth. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
2. Preheat oven to 375˚ F. Line a small baking pan with nonstick aluminum foil.
3. Combine turmeric, sugar, ginger, cumin, salt, and cayenne pepper in a small bowl. Toss almonds with egg whites, then toss with turmeric spice mixture to coat evenly. Place almonds on baking pan, leaving space between them. Bake for 14-15 min., until toasted and dry. Allow almonds to cool, then coarsely chop.
4. To serve, reheat the soup. Ladle each portion into a bowl. Spoon a dollop of yogurt in the center, then sprinkle with some toasted almonds and drizzle with Pompeian Extra Virgin Olive Oil.