- 1 broiler-fryer chicken (about 3 1/2 pounds), cut into 8 pieces
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 2/3 cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp. black pepper
- 2 tsp. paprika
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 3 cups flour
- 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- 4 tsp. salt
- 5 cups Pompeian Grapeseed Oil
1. In a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan, whisk together flour, salt, pepper, sugar and paprika. In a medium-size bowl, whisk together buttermilk, eggs, baking powder and baking soda until smooth.
2. Dip each piece of chicken into buttermilk mixture, shaking off excess. Roll in flour mixture and then dip into buttermilk and flour mixture a second time. Place on a baking sheet fitted with a wire rack. Refrigerate while heating oil.
3. Heat oven to 175°. Place Pompeian Grapeseed Oil in a large lidded heavy-bottom Dutch oven. Heat oil to 360° over medium-high heat. Place half of the chicken pieces, skin-side down, in the oil. Cover and reduce heat to medium. Fry chicken for 7 to 8 minutes or until golden brown. Check after 4 minutes to be sure chicken is browning evenly. Rearrange if necessary. Flip chicken over and fry an additional 7 to 8 minutes or until golden and internal temperature registers 170° on an instant-read thermometer. Transfer chicken to a baking sheet fitted with wire rack and place in oven to keep warm.
4. Return oil to 360° and fry remaining chicken pieces. Serve warm.