- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups arborio rice
- 1 cup sweet peas
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup Pompeian White Cooking Wine
- 4 Tbsp. Pompeian Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1. Heat the broth to a simmer in a medium-size saucepan, then reduce heat to low.
2. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Prepare an ice bath and set aside. Cook the peas in the boiling salted water for one minute and remove to the ice bath with a slotted spoon. Cool peas for 2 minutes then remove from ice bath to a separate bowl.
3. Heat the Pompeian Extra Virgin Olive Oil over medium heat in a large saucepan. Add the chopped onion and garlic to pot and sauté for 2-3 minutes or until slightly translucent.
4. Add the rice to the pot and stir it briskly with a wooden spoon for 1 minute. Sauté for another minute or until there is a slightly nutty aroma.
5. Add the Pompeian White Cooking Wine and cook while stirring, until the liquid is fully absorbed.
6. Add a ladle of hot chicken stock to the rice and stir until the liquid is fully absorbed. When the rice appears almost dry, add another ladle of stock and repeat the process. Continue to stir constantly to prevent scorching.
7. Continue adding ladles of hot stock and stirring the rice while the liquid is absorbed for 20 to 30 minutes or until the grains are tender but still firm to the bite, without being crunchy. As it cooks, you'll see that the rice will take on a creamy consistency as it begins to release its natural starches. Add hot water if needed to complete cooking process.
8. Stir in the peas, Parmesan cheese and season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Serve immediately.