¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon Pompeian Smooth Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 pounds yellow onions, halved and thinly sliced
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
¼ cup dry white wine
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
¼ cup tomato paste
4 cups beef broth
4 slices French bread, cut 1-inch thick
1 ¼ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Pour ¼ cup Pompeian Smooth Extra Virgin Olive Oil into a large, heavy pot or Dutch oven and place over medium heat. Add the onions and cover with a lid. Cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onions are soft and wilted.
- Uncover the pot, add 1 teaspoon salt and black pepper to taste. Turn the heat to medium-high. Continue cooking the onions uncovered, stirring frequently, until evenly golden brown, 35-40 minutes.
- Add the wine to the pot and stir to loosen any browned bits. Boil until almost evaporated, about 1 minute.
- Stir in the tomato paste and flour and cook 30 seconds. Add the broth and bring to a simmer. Cook 7-10 minutes, until the soup thickens slightly.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. On a baking sheet, brush the bread slices on both sides with the remaining tablespoon of Pompeian Smooth Extra Virgin Oil. Bake in the oven until lightly toasted.
- Arrange the bread on top of the soup. Sprinkle the cheese on top of the bread, turn off the heat and cover the pot. Let sit about 3 minutes to allow the cheese to melt.
- Ladle the soup into bowls, with a slice of toast in each serving.