2 pounds whole chicken legs, bone-in skin-on thighs and drumsticks
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
1 1/2 pounds baby Yukon Gold Potatoes, scrubbed
2 lemons, halved
2 heads garlic, left unpeeled and halved crosswise
1 cup, green Castelvetrano Olives, smashed and pitted
Parsley, roughly chopped to garnish
- Place a cooling rack inside a baking sheet, place chicken on the rack and dry with a paper towel and season with kosher salt and pepper, allowing the chicken to “dry” out. Ideally this is done the day before, keeping the chicken in the fridge uncovered, but can also allow to sit at room temp for 30 minutes while you prep the rest of the recipe. The more time the chicken sits, the crispier the skin will be.
- Heat oven to 325° F. Arrange chicken in a large braising pot or baking dish. Scatter garlic head halves, potatoes, lemon halves, crushed olives among the chicken pieces, nestling everything in there.
- Pour the Pompeian Robust Extra Virgin Olive Oil over the chicken and potatoes and season with salt and pepper. The olive oil should come to at least halfway up the chicken, ideally it is just about covered. It is ok if the garlic, lemons, potatoes and olives are not covered.
- Place in the oven, uncovered, and roast for about 90 minutes to 2 hours. This will depend on which chicken pieces you selected, as the whole legs will take longer. Remove from oven and preheat the broiler.
- Use tongs to carefully remove chicken from pot and place, skin side up, on a rimmed baking sheet. Add potatoes and lemons to baking sheet and broil until chicken skin is browned and crisp, about 5 minutes. Remove, and let rest for 5-10 minutes on baking sheet.
- Place chicken, potatoes, lemon wedges, on a platter, scattering olives over top, finishing the dish with a squeeze of fresh lemon and a drizzle of Pompeian Robust Extra Virgin Olive Oil.