1 (2 1/2 pounds) chuck roast
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 Tablespoon Pompeian Smooth Extra Virgin Olive Oil
8 large carrots
3 pounds red potatoes
2 cups low or no sodium beef stock
1 Tablespoon Pompeian Organic Balsamic Vinegar, plus more for serving
- Season the roast all over with the salt and pepper. Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the Pompeian Smooth Extra Virgin Olive Oil and let it get really hot. Add the roast to the hot oil. Cook on one side until very-browned, 4-5 minutes. Flip it over and get the other side brown and crusty as well, another 4-5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, peel the carrots and chop them into large chunks. Halve any smaller potatoes and quarter larger ones.
- Preheat oven to 300° F. Transfer the roast to a roomy roasting pan.
- Pour beer stock into the skillet that you used to sear the roast. Heat over medium-high heat to a simmer. Add 1 Tablespoon of Pompeian Organic Balsamic Vinegar. Stir. Pour over the roast in the roasting pan. Surround roast with potatoes. Top the roast and potatoes with the carrots.
- Put a lid on the roasting pan or cover it tightly in heavy-duty foil. Put it into the oven until the potatoes and carrots are soft and the meat is tender enough that you could pull it apart with your fingers, about 2 hours.
- Remove the meat and potatoes from the liquid. Optionally drizzle the meat with some Pompeian Organic Balsamic Vinegar (1 teaspoon or so) or serve it on the side as a dip. If you’d like to serve the braising liquid with the meal, skim off the fat before doing so.
- Slice the meat and serve with the potatoes, carrots, Pompeian Organic Balsamic Vinegar and braising liquid (optional).