2¼ cups all purpose flour + more for dusting pans
¼ cup corn starch
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
5 eggs at room temperature
1½ cups granulated sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup Pompeian Made Easy Bake Olive Oil + more for lining pans
1 cup milk
½ cup rainbow sprinkles
For the frosting:
¼ teaspoon salt
¾ teaspoon vanilla extract
1¼ cups maple syrup
1¼ cups cocoa powder
2 cups powdered sugar
¼ cup Pompeian Made Easy Bake Olive Oil
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Grease 2 8” cake pans with about 1 teaspoon of Pompeian Made Easy Bake Olive Oil each and add parchment paper to the bottom and coat the sides lightly with flour.
- In a small bowl whisk together the flour cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- To the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, or a bowl and hand mixer, add the eggs, sugar and vanilla extract. Whisk on low to combine then on high speed until the mixture is pale and has thickened, the trails of the whisk will be noticeable, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the Pompeian Made Easy Bake Olive Oil and milk and whisk together.
- Stir in the dry ingredient mixture in 2 batches, only until just combined.
- Fold in the sprinkles and divide the batter evenly between the pans.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes, until golden brown and a toothpick inserted comes out slightly tacky.
- Cool the cakes completely before making the frosting.
- To make the frosting, add the salt, vanilla, maple syrup, cocoa powder and sugar to the stand mixer with whisk attachment, or bowl and hand mixer, stir together slowly until the powders have incorporated then increase the speed to high until the mixture is smooth and thickening, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add the Pompeian Made Easy Bake Olive Oil and mix on high for another 1-2 minutes until the frosting is glossy and thick, stop and scrape down the sides of the bowl halfway through if needed.
- Frost the cake right away by turning one cake upside down and spreading ½ cup of the frosting evenly over the top.
- Place the second cake upside down on top of the first cake and spread the remaining frosting all over, and add some sprinkles to garnish, if desired.