1 butternut squash
Kosher salt, pepper to taste
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 large red onion, thinly sliced
4 Tablespoons salted butter, divided
1 Tablespoon Pompeian Smooth Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/2 Tablespoon rice wine vinegar
4 cups water
2 cups milk
2 cups polenta
1/2 cup finely grated pecorino or parmesan cheese
2 oz. goat cheese
1 Tablespoon minced sage
Optional garnish, pepitas, pine nuts, pesto
- Preheat oven to 400° F and set aside 2 baking sheets. Slice the squash in half, remove the seeds. Lightly score half and place cut side up on a baking sheet. Peel other half and chop into small cubes then arrange in on second baking sheet.
- Spray each tray with Pompeian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil Spray, sprinkle with salt and pepper, then divide garlic powder amongst the squash on both sheets.
- Place squash half in the oven and roast for 30 min. Add tray of cubed squash to the oven and roast both sheet pans for an additional 20 minutes until golden. Set aside the cubed squash to cool. Scoop the flesh from the skin of the half-roasted squash and place to in a food processor. Process until smooth.
- Melt 1 Tablespoon butter and 1 Tablespoon Pompeian Smooth Extra Virgin Olive Oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add thinly sliced onions to skillet and toss to coat. Cook over medium heat for 45-50 minutes, tossing every 3-5 minutes. At 40 minutes the onions should be caramelized. Add a pinch of salt and the rice wine vinegar to the pan to deglaze. Set aside.
- For the polenta, bring water and milk to a boil in a deep pan over high heat, gradually stir in polenta with a long-handled spoon. Reduce heat and simmer gently for 25-30 minutes. Stir in butter and Pecorino cheese.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and spray with Pompeian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil Spray. Place 2 heaping cups polenta onto each tray. Smooth polenta into shape of pizza about 1/2 inch thick.
- Return the crusts to the oven and bake for 20 minutes. Top with puréed butternut, caramelized onions, cubes butternut, goat cheese, and minced sage. Return to oven for 10 minutes. Serve immediately with desired garnishes.