2 small acorn squashes, cut in half and set seeds aside
1 Tablespoon Pompeian Smooth Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plus sea salt and black pepper, to roast the acorn squash
2 Tablespoons Pompeian Smooth Extra Virgin Olive Oil to sauté the sausage, kale and apple
1 clove garlic, minced
½ pound Italian sausage
2 cups kale, chopped
1 medium apple, diced
1 Tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, chopped
Sea salt and pepper to taste, for the sausage mixture
2 Tablespoons crumbled cheese (feta, goat or blue cheese)
Fresh parsley – for garnish if desired
- Preheat oven to 400F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Pour 1 Tablespoon of Pompeian Smooth Extra Virgin Olive Oil over the acorn squash and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake in oven for 30-50 minutes, until skin is soft and fork tender.
- Heat 2 Tablespoons of Pompeian Smooth Extra Virgin Olive Oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Add sausage and using a wood spoon break into coarse pieces. Cook until brown. Set aside.
- Add kale to the same skillet and sauté for 2 minutes. Then, add apple, thyme leaves, salt and pepper and sauté for 1 more minute. Stir occasionally.
- Bring back the sausage and stir well to combine and cook just for 1 minute to blend flavors.
- Divide apple-sausage filling among squashes. Once filled, place the baking sheet under the broiler and broil for 3 minutes or so just to warm up the squashes. Garnish with crumble cheese and fresh parsley!