4 large tomatoes
2 medium eggplants
2 yellow zucchinis
2 green squash
2 Tablespoons Pompeian Robust Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 large sweet onion, diced
1 large red bell pepper, diced
4 minced garlic cloves
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
1 Tablespoon herbes de provence
Ground black pepper
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon freshy thyme, about 4 sprigs
1 ½ cups crushed tomatoes
1 teaspoon sugar
2 Tablespoons Pompeian Organic Balsamic Vinegar
8 to 10 basil leaves, chopped
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 to 3 Tablespoons Pompeian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Tablespoon fresh thyme
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- Prepare the sauce first. Preheat a large frying pan over medium heat and add a few Tablespoons of Pompeian Robust Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Once the olive oil is heated, add the diced pepper and onion. Sauté the mixture for 4 to 5 minutes, until the onion is translucent and tender; do not brown. After 2 to 3 minutes, add the minced garlic.
- Season the mixture with herbs and spices: smoked paprika, ground black pepper, herbes de provence, thyme and salt. Add the crushed tomatoes, sugar and Pompeian Organic Balsamic Vinegar next. Cook the sauce over medium-low heat, simmering for about 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped basil last, along with the heavy cream. Stir the cream in, then remove from heat.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Next, prepare the vegetables. Use a very sharp knife or a madeline slicer to cut all vegetables the same thickness, about 1/8th of an inch. Once all the vegetables are sliced, layer them alternating all 4 vegetables. Create small stacks for easy assembly.
- To assemble the dish, first spread three-quarters of the sauce into the bottom of a large oval or round casserole dish. Arrange the vegetables in the casserole in a ring around the edge, packing them tightly. Start from the outside of the casserole and work your way in. Spoon the remaining sauce in between the vegetables and around the edges.
- For the topping, simply combine a few Tablespoons of Pompeian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil with fresh thyme. Use a pastry brush to brush the oil and thyme over the vegetables. Cover the casserole dish with foil and place into preheated oven. Bake at 375 degrees F for 1 hour; 50 minutes covered, then remove the foil, add parmesan cheese and bake for another 10 minutes uncovered. If desired, broil on ‘low’ heat for 5 minutes.
- Allow the dish to cool for 15 to 20 minutes before serving. Serve with a warm French baguette.
Mediterranean Pasta Salad
Cashew Crusted Chicken Cobb Salad