2 pounds sweet potatoes, about 4-5 medium potatoes
1/2 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
2 Tablespoons Pompeian Organic Robust Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
1 teaspoon salt, divided
1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
1 yellow onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
1 1/2 cups dry brown lentils
3 cups vegetable broth or water
1 teaspoon ground thyme
1/2 teaspoon ground oregano
3/4 cup green peas
3/4 cup corn
Fresh thyme, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350˚ F. Peel sweet potatoes and cut into 1-inch chunks.
- Fill a large pot with water; bring to a boil and add potatoes. Boil for 15 – 20 minutes, until fork tender. Drain. In a large bowl, add potatoes; mash until smooth. Add non-dairy milk, 1 Tablespoon Pompeian Organic Robust Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; stir to combine. Set aside.
- In a large oven-safe skillet over medium heat, warm 1 Tablespoon Pompeian Organic Robust Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Add onion and cook for 5 – 7 minutes, until they begin to brown. Add garlic and cook for 1 – 2 minutes, until fragrant. Add carrots and mushrooms and cook for 5 – 7 more minutes, until they are slightly tender.
- Add lentils, broth or water, thyme and oregano, stirring to combine. Bring to a boil, cover and lower heat to simmer. Cook for 15 – 20 minutes, until lentils are tender. Add green peas, corn, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Stir to combine.
- Use a wooden spoon to fill pan evenly with lentil mixture and flatten on top. Scoop sweet potatoes onto the lentil mixture and spread into an even layer.
- Bake for 35 – 45 minutes, until slightly crispy on top. Garnish with fresh thyme.