1 cup sugar
2 packed Tablespoons orange zest (about 2 medium oranges)
1 vanilla bean or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¾ cup Pompeian Light Taste Olive Oil
2 large eggs
1 ½ cups almond flour
2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
10 oz. dark chocolate melting wafers
Sea salt flakes
- In a large bowl combine sugar, orange zest, and vanilla bean caviar. If using vanilla extract wait to combine it with wet ingredients. Using your fingers, work the sugar until the zest and caviar is evenly distributed and the sugar is fragrant.
- Add Pompeian Light Taste Olive Oil, eggs, and vanilla extract (if using) to sugar mixture. Mix until well combined and emulsified.
- In a separate bowl combine almond flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, and salt. Whisk until well combined.
- Add flour mixture to wet mixture 1 cup at a time until well combined. Keep in mind that the dough is a crumbly dough.
- Divide the dough in half and spread out half the dough on a sheet of parchment paper. Press together and use the parchment paper to shape the dough into a log, about 8-10 inches long.
- Wrap log tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Remove the cookie dough from the refrigerator and unwrap it. Note: the dough will be oily and that it’s normal. Pat with a paper towel if necessary.
- Heat oven to 350ºF.
- Using a sharp knife, cut slices ½-inch thick or a little less.
- Place the cookie dough slices on a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes, or just until the cookies are set. Don’t allow them to brown.
- Transfer the cookies to a cooling rack to completely cool. Place cooling rack over a sheet of parchment paper.
- While cookies are baking, melt dark chocolate wafers according to package directions.
- Dip cooled cookies in dark chocolate, coating half the cookie. Return to the cooling rack.
- When the chocolate just starts to set and become, matte sprinkle the cookies with the sea salt flakes. Do not sprinkle the cookies with salt when the chocolate is still glossy, as it will just melt into the chocolate.
- Once the chocolate has completely set, store in air tight container.